I created this breakfast recipe for Great British chefs, whose website this recipe was first shared on.
Ingredients for two servings
400ml coconut cream
Honey 2 tbsp.
½ tsp. ground cardamom
2 tbsp. chia seeds
3 tbsp. rose water
4-5 strands of saffron
2 star anise, ground to a fine powder
1 red apple, peeled and cut into cubes
135g of raspberries (I used frozen raspberries)
1 ½ tbsp. of chopped/flaked pistachio
1 ½ tbsp. desiccated coconut.
1. Rinse the quinoa and then combine with the milk, saffron, 1tbsp. honey, ground cardamom and coconut milk and bring it to a simmer. Press the strands of saffron against the pan to release the colour and flavour. Cook the quinoa for 12 minutes.
2. In the meantime, soak the chia seeds in the rose water.
3. Add the chia seeds and rose water to the porridge and cook for a further 5 minutes before turning the heat off. Do check that it is sweetened to your taste.
4. In a separate pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp. of honey and add the ground star anise and the apple and allow the apple to soften for 3-4 minutes before adding the raspberries and cooking for them until they are hot all the way through but do not allow them turn mushy.
5. On a non-stick pan, lightly toast the desiccated coconut until it catches a golden brown colour.
6. Serve the porridge hot, topped with the desiccated coconut, pistachio and fruits.